Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Good Sunday

I don’t think that I ever would have thought growing up that Sunday could be the best day of the week. I just saw it as a day where I had to wear tights and a dress and sit quietly for three hours, until we went home, where we couldn’t watch tv or play outside. Times have changed! I love Sundays! In fact, I need Sundays. I’m finding that is more and more important to have a day that isn’t so fast-paced, when the laundry gets set aside, the flashing images on the tv aren’t penetrating my mind, and going out and buying things isn’t an option. Fortunately, my focus has shifted in other ways as well, and more importantly I’m seeing Sunday as a day where I can focus with clarity and purpose on my Heavenly Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the gospel of Jesus Christ. It has turned from a Sunday-don’t-day to a Sabbath day. I am so grateful for the Sabbath day and I’m so grateful that Matt and I can go to church together every week, partake of the sacrament, and be spiritually uplifted. The other part that I love about Sundays is that I get to spend the whole day with Matt! We talk, we read, we visit people, and talk some more. It is wonderful. One thought that was shared in church today that particularly stuck out to me was that the Atonement of Jesus Christ serves two functions: to redeem us from sin and to empower us for good. We focused today on the empowering effect that the Atonement can have in our lives if we will prepare the way and let it. This is something that I would like to do better. I want the power of the Atonement to fill my whole soul with empowerment, knowing that with the Lord on my side, anything is possible. I can love more, forgive more, serve more, and be more humble knowing that I have this enabling gift at my side. What a tremendous blessing! The Atonement has such eternal potential that I am just beginning to unlock. Fortunately, I know that the Lord loves me no matter what, and that gives me great strength to press forward.

Highlights from the past few days: 1. Mini-golfing at Trafalga with Matt on Saturday night (we combined for 9 under par), 2. Visiting Amie and Ashlyn and catching up with them, 3. Watching The Pink Panther with Matt—so funny!

Does life get any better than this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment